POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : long filenames : Re: long filenames Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: long filenames
From: Uwe Zimmermann
Date: 29 Jun 1999 09:17:29
Message: <3778C768.CCA86469@ele.kth.se>
Ken wrote:

> it can be done at all. Long file names are a platform specific feature while
> the naming convention for the animaiton output is universal on all platforms
> so is maintained in the core of the programming code.

But since DOS is the only platform of all the ones supported by PovRay,
that I wonder if it really is neccessary to carry on this restriction
into the far future of raytracing.

One idea might be to just clip away the last n characters of the
original filename without truncating it first to 8 characters. Another
way might be to save the animated outputfiles to separate directories,
named after the original file.
I encountered the problem when I had two different scenes with names
that didn't differ in the first 5 characters. Running the second
animation with 200 frames completely destroyed the output of the first
run...

Uwe.